Thanks to Fred Stephens for editing the original transcription of this text.
This booklet contains a compilation of the reports written in the schools of Henderson County during the summer of 1940. This work grew out of a study of Tennessee History, beginning at home. We studied the histories of our home communities and our schools. This work with a large exhibit was displayed at the Henderson County Fair during the week of September 16-21, 1940.
The teachers and children of Henderson County enjoyed the work and learned to appreciate their homes, schools, parents, and friends, as well as learning much valuable information.
The idea was original with the County Supervisor, Louise Oakley, and the work was carried forward under her direction.
Alberton was named in honor of Albert Hare, the first settler in the community. He located here because of the abundance of water. The location was also in the center of the district.
The oldest house now standing is the home of Mrs. Mary Overman. The Church of Christ is the oldest church standing. Hare Brothers' store is the oldest store. Mr. Connie Sullivan is the present mail carrier.
The first settler of Antioch Community was Martin Fesmire. His home was on the present W. R. Wright farm. The oldest house now standing is owned by Mr. Riley Owens and occupied by Mr. Feak Thompson.
The oldest church was a log building erected on a camp meeting site. A man [who] died during the meeting [had] requested to be buried there. This started the cemetery and soon afterwards the church was built. This was 108 years ago. The community has today two churches - a Primitive Baptist and a Missionary Baptist. The latter was organized in 1934.
The present mail carrier is Mr. Bob Smith.
Antioch school got its name from a Primitive Baptist Church located in the community. Mary Teague taught the first school in a log building at Old Antioch seventy-five years ago. She had a house full of pupils. One of her pupils now 1iving in this community is Martha Ellen Fesmire. She is 83 years of age. All her life has been spent in less than a mile and a half of her birthplace.
The present teachers are Mrs. Ruby W. Brooks and Miss Faye Oakley.
The present enrollment is 54 pupils.
The school and village took their names from one of the early settlers and merchants, Ausburn Barger.
The present building was erected in 1921. There have been three or four other school buildings which served their turn, but did not bear the name Bargerton.
Some of the early teachers were Bill Barr, who taught at Sharon, and Sid Rhodes, who taught at Meals Academy. Its present teachers are Mr. T. V. Taylor, principal, Mrs. Glyn Phillips and Mrs. James Patton.
At the time of its erection Bargerton was set aside as a special school district by the State.
The present daily attendance is 81.
Beech River community received its name from Beech River, a tributary of the Tennessee, whose head is in the heart of our community.
Its history dates back to the early 1800's when the Whites, Hardins, Timberlakes, Trices, Graves, Whytes, Birds and Gibsons made homes here.
There are three very old houses in this community. The Hardin house, which was first owned by Mr. Will White's grandfather, Anderson White, later was sold to Thompson Hardin and is now owned by his son, Walter. It is occupied by Priest Ellis, colored. The Timberlake house, which is owned by Mrs. Rubye Beasley, is occupied by Bob Hendrix. The old Young house on Cade Bird's farm is vacant. The use of wooden pegs for nails shows that these houses have "weathered many a storm."
There was a non-denominational church built many, many years ago near where the present school building stands. This was destroyed and there are no churches in this community now.
Mr. Bob Smith is our rural carrier.
The population of Beech River community is 173.
The school got its name from Beech River, a tributary of the Tennessee, whose head is near the school building.
There have been three school buildings. The first was built between 1875 and 1880 about seventy-five yards from where the present building now stands. The second building was erected in 1910 or 1915 on the Hardin farm. The present building was built in 1928.
Some of the early teachers were: Willie Wilson, Mrs. Emma White, Felix Davis, Vela Blankenship, A. H. Fuller and Mae Joyce. The first teacher in the present building was Mrs. Josie Lee Gibson.
The average daily attendance is twenty-nine.
The present teacher is Mrs. Frances Gibson.
Our first settler was Mr. Adam Brown who came from North Carolina in 1822 and settled near a large spring on land later granted him by Gov. Carroll. His home, built in 1825, is our oldest. The present occupants are Andy Middleton and family.
The first mail route through this community went from Henderson to Lexington by way of Mifflin in 1886. Mr. Martin Dale was the first carrier.
In 1904 the first rural route from Huron was established. Mr. Ernest Johnson was the first carrier. Our present carrier is Mr. E. W. Bailey, whose route is almost the same as the first route established.
Our school was named after Mr. Adam Brown who gave the land for the first school. Our first building was a log house built in 1879. Miss Emma Kimbrough was the first teacher with 35 pupils.
The next school house was old Mt. Gilead Church, moved here after the log house burned in 1901.
The present building was constructed in 1926. This building is about one mile north of the original site. The first teacher in this building was Mrs. Esta West. The present teachers are Rena Mae Pierce and Laelaleigh R. Page.
Our P.T.A. project for the year is the building of a school kitchen for the hot lunch program.
This community received its name from its geographical location.
The first settlers were Wilse Grissom, Taylor Thomas, Hosey Presley, and Jimmie Petty.
The oldest house in the community was built by Wilse Grissom in 1815 and is now occupied by Claude Williams.
The oldest church was a United Baptist. It was named Little Rock and was located in the Northeast section of the community. The present church is located in the center of the community and is known as Center Hill Church.
The only store in the community is owned by J. F. Grissom.
The mail carrier is Clint Pierce.
Center Hill School was erected in 1920 and is still in use. The first teachers were Tom Bailey, Virgie Stewart, and Henry Powers. The present teachers are Riley Goff and Mrs. Hurley Buck. The present average daily attendance is fifty-eight.
Center Ridge is so named because it is located on the dividing ridge between the Tennessee and Mississippi Rivers.
T. B. George and family were the first settlers. They settled here because of good land, which was priced at only $0.125 an acre. The oldest house was built by Sy Fesmire, now occupied by Oscar Horn and family. The oldest Church is Center Ridge Methodist Church, built in 1886. It is still in use. The oldest store was 'Possum Trot. Franklin Brothers now operate the present store.
Robert Smith is the rural mail carrier, serving our community on Route 4 from Lexington.
The school bears the same name as the community, because it is on the dividing ridge between the Tennessee and the Mississippi Rivers.
The present school building was constructed in 1935. The first building, built in 1882, was remodeled and enlarged in 1897.
The first teachers were S. E. (Emerson) Tucker, Margarette Teague and A. W. Fesmire. The present teachers are Harold Sellers and Cora Mae Gateley. The average daily attendance is 43.
Central community was named for the school. The first settler was Presley Moore in this community. He settled in the community for the purpose of farming.
The oldest house now standing was built by Elliott Maxwell and is now occupied by G. W. McCay and family. The oldest church in the community is Pleasant Grove Baptist church. This is the only church in the community. The first store in the community was owned by Martin Derryberry. At present there is only one store, owned and operated by M. A. Tolley.
There are three mail routes through the community. The mail carriers are Carl Burton from Parsons, Murray Austin from Darden, and Bedford Todd from Wildersville.
The school was named Central because it was located near the center of the community. The present building was erected in 1923. The first teachers of the school were Eunice Wood and Ida Halter.
The school, soon after its erection, offered two years of High School work with an average daily attendance of 85 in both Elementary and High Schools.
The present teacher is Mrs. Lilliard S. White. The average daily attendance is 26.
The school building contains four rooms. The school is served by two buses, one driven by Tommie Lewis, and the other one by Dayton Reeves.
One of the first settlers of this community was Mr. Buck Moore. His is the oldest house and was built in 1812. It is on the present farm of J. W. Johnson near G. W. Williams. Joshua Ivy lives there now.
The church is Christian Chapel Church of Christ built in 1897. The first store was operated by T. A. Davis. Our present stores are owned by Roby Bradfield and Erie Rickman.
Our mail carrier is Mr. B. A. Todd, Wildersville.
The present school building was built in 1930. A one room house, which was located near the place where the church now stands, was used prior to that time. Oscar Eubanks was the first teacher. The present teachers are Luther Bradfield and Mrs. Violet Maxwell. The average daily attendance of pupils is forty-two.
Our school is the nearest one to Natchez Trace State Park. Five pupils of the old school are teachers.
The Chapel Hill community is located on the Lexington- Mifflin road about eight miles southeast of Lexington.
It was settled by Edmund Knowles and his sons soon after the Civil War.
The oldest house which is still standing was built by Mr. Knowles for his son, Hubert Knowles. It is now owned and occupied by Philip White.
The Chapel Hill Baptist Church was organized before the Civil War. It was destroyed during the war but was rebuilt soon afterwards.
About fifty years ago a store, post office, and saloon were operated by Tom Sullivan near where the church now stands. There is no store in the community now, and the mail is delivered by C. C. Sullivan.
Mills Darden, spoken of by people of Henderson County as the largest man on earth during his lifetime, is buried on the farm owned by Carse Hart. It is said that he weighed eight hundred pounds.
Chapel Hill School was named for the Chapel Hill Baptist Church which stands near the school. The first house was a log house and was built soon after the Civil War. In 1880 the present building was erected. The first teacher to teach in this building was Charlie Scott.
About 1920 the house was remodeled and a new room added. The attendance had increased so much that two teachers were employed. They were Mr. and Mrs. Will Gilliam. In later years only one teacher is employed. The present teacher is Mrs. Elizabeth H. Hart. The average attendance is 26.
Chesterfield was named after Lord Chesterfield, an aristocrat of England, by the contractors, Majors and Temple. These contractors built the first railroad in Henderson County.
About 1820 Philip Walker and Dave Engraham came down the Tennessee River from North Carolina seeking new homes. They landed at what is now known as Perryville and came westward to the present site of Chesterfield.
The oldest house of the community is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Fate Dennison. This house was built by Mr. Dennison's father, Robert Dennison. "Uncle Fate", as he is commonly known, is 86 and his wife is 79. Mr. Wesley Essary is the oldest person in the community. He is now 89 years of age, and has been a member of the church for 74 years.
Union, the only church of the community and the oldest in the County, was organized in 1842 by Jacob Bartholomew and wife, John Bain and wife, Betsy Pritchard and daughter, and Joe Essary who was the first clerk. This church was first used by both Baptist and Methodist and for this reason it was named Union. The first pastor was Rev. Collins, and the present pastor is Rev. Walter Moody.
The first store was located about one mile east of the present location which was called Cheap Valley. The Masonic Lodge which is located over the church received its name from this place. The store was later moved to Lone Elm and, when the railroad was built in 1889, it was moved to the present location. The first merchant was T. R. Bray. The present merchants are J. T. Moore and E. M. Evans.
The first post office was located at Lone Elm in 1870. The postmaster was F. R. Bray. It was moved in 1890 to Chesterfield. The postmaster now is J. T. Moore. The mail carrier is E. B. Evans.
Chesterfield school received its name from our little town Chesterfield. It is located six and one half miles east of Lexington about four hundred yards south of Highway No. 20, amidst one of the richest farming sections of the County.
The present building is one of the most modern in the county. It was erected in 1927. The community owes a vote of thanks to Mr. E. M. Evans, Chairman of the Board of Education for this comfortable building.
The first building was located at Lone Elm. The Hon. E. W. Essary attended this school. When the railroad was built, the school was moved to Chesterfield. A large frame building was erected in 1890, about where highway No. 20 runs through our village. The first teachers were John Moore and Hilliard from Westport. Mr. Arthur Dennison taught many years, and it is said by many that he did much for the moral up-building of the community.
The present teachers are E. E. Reed and Mrs. Cora Evans. The average daily attendance for the past ten years has been about 60 pupils.
Crowell community was named in honor of Brother Crowell, who organized the first church.
Bryant Presley was the first settler in the community. He settled on a hill just above the John White Spring near Flat Creek. He settled here that he might have access to plenty of good water and fertile bottom land.
The Joe Robins house is the oldest house now standing. It is occupied at present by his son, John Robins.
Crowell's Chapel is the oldest church. It is a Methodist Episcopal Church and is still in use.
Robin's store, the oldest store, passed out of existence along with the horse and buggy.
The community is served by two mail routes, one from Scotts Hill; the other from Decaturville.
The school got its name from a minister by the name of Crowell. There have been three school buildings erected in this community. The one now standing was built in 1925. The first teacher was Mr. Bryant Presley. The present teachers are Elmo Todd and Kathleen Robins. The average daily attendance is forty-two.
Darden was named in honor of Mills Darden, a resident of Henderson County who was noted for his unusual size. At one time, he weighed 1000 lbs. It is said his coat would encompass three ordinary men.
The first settlers at Darden community ware Jacky Jones, Fred Owens, LaFayette Reeves, Bill and Lawson Elliot, Andy Derryberry, and Lawson Boren. The "Aunt Tense” Hays House is the oldest dwelling now standing. It is now occupied by Esta Tyner.
The oldest church is the Baptist Church built in 1895. It was burned in 1905 and replaced in 1908 by the one now used. There is one other church, the Pentecostal, built in 1920.
Hendrix and Moore had the first store. L. B. Moore is still in business in the old depot. There are two other stores owned by Carmon Hill and W. R. Powers. The largest number of stores at one time was seven.
In 1889 the Tennessee-Midland railroad built a depot on the land of S. H. Newman. This was the beginning of Darden. Prior to that time the territory between Big Creek and Browns Creek was known as "The Nation". The first depot agent was H. N. Gilbert and the last one was Pete Brown, now a resident of Lexington. After the completion of Highway #20 in 1933, the railroad service was discontinued and later the track was taken up. The post office now occupies the old depot.
Darden Post Office has one rural route. The first carrier was John Sullivan. The present carrier is Murray Austin of Lexington
Darden was fortunate in securing electric current when the Tennessee Electric Power Co. built its transmission line into Lexington in1931.
Darden has a cotton gin and grist mill owned by W. O. Hill. There is also a filling station operated by Albert Herndon and a barber shop owned by Jack Hays.
Darden School takes its name from Darden. It now occupies a brick building erected in 1928. This is the second building. The first one was torn down after the construction of the present one. The old building at first had but one room, but later a petition was added. The first teacher was Professor Denver. Some of the other early teachers were Professors Cole, Fagg and Spence.
The new building was built according to a state plan. It has four rooms, three cloakrooms, a hall and a stage. The school ground contains 5 acres with 1/2 acre in pines. Darden School has $885 worth of school materials. The present teachers are Ewing Powers and Willene Neely. The average daily attendance last year was 62. For the first two months this year it was 68.
The name Ebenezer was given this community by Col. Alfred Middleton. He was very religious and it is believed he took this name from the Bible.
Alfred Middleton, the first settler, came from North Carolina in l833. He settled here because deer were exceedingly abundant. The first house in this community was built in 1833. It stands, slightly remodeled, a short distance from its original sight of erection and is occupied by Mr. M. L. Volner. Soon after he settled Col. Middleton gave four acres of land on which to build a church. This church burned in 1886. In the same year the present one was erected. It is not known who the first pastor was. The present pastor is Rev. J. C. Bishop.
The first store was built by A. U. Myric in 1898 near where Otis Littles [Odis Little? P. 395] now lives. There is no store in this community now.
The first mail carrier was Mr. Wash Freeman.
Hanna White, a Negro slave, is buried near the school.
The school takes its name from the community. Four building have been used since school was first taught in the community. The first building was the old log church. The present building was erected in 1923. The first teacher was Sallie Middleton. The present teacher is J. R. Brazzel. The average daily attendance at present is twenty-two.
The school has a good supply of reading tables and chairs. Several magazines and papers come to the school's private mail box. This school is on the approved list.
The Farmville community was first a trading center second to none except Old Pleasant Exchange. It was named Farmville because of the fine farming land. It was settled for the same reason. A Post Office was established in 1880. The first Post Mistress was Miss Ada Townes, now a Mrs. Brewer, living in Huntingdon. The Post Office was moved several times but was last in the house of Dr. Boyd, a well known physician of this community for many years. This house is the oldest building near here.
The first settlers were the Mosses, Owens, Morgans, Hosters, Walkers and Cozarts. The present occupants of the oldest house are O. L. Dameron and family.
The first store was owned by Morgans.
The first school was held in a log house, one-half mile north of the present one. This house was constructed for a Masonic Hall but was also used for school and for church by the Cumberland Presbyterian people.
Some of the teachers in this house were R. L. Napier, Tom Nowell, Jim Birdwell, and a Mr. Bryant. The present school house was built in 1900. The first- teacher was Miss Mary Hampton. This house is on a high hill, just west of the Carrol County line. The Broidis Ferry Road is near on the north. The famous Natchez Trace Road, and also Natchez Trace State Park, is one mile southeast. The present teacher is Mrs. Clara Moore Walker. The average daily attendance is 23.
The community took its name from the Hinson Springs Park. The park was named for Joe B. Hinson, who owned the first hotel there. The first settlers in this community were the parents of Mr. George Barker. His mother was a native of Virginia, but his father was born and reared near this community.
There are no churches in the community. The school house has always been used for church services of all denominations.
The present mail carrier is Connie Sullivan.
The early community of Hinson Springs was much larger than at the present. It included what are now Life, Rubys Grove and Mabel Grove.
The first school house that was built on this location was built when the Hinson Springs Park was in its glory. The school, being so near the park, took its name from it.
The first school built in this community was built about one and one-half miles from the present school. It was built of logs and was called Scotts Chapel for the man who gave the land. This was about sixty-five years ago. When this building was torn down a new house was built at the present site. Mr. George Barker and Dan Scott built the house in 1907. In 1922 this building was destroyed by fire. In the fall of that year the present house was built, the people of the community donating the lumber and labor. The building was not weather boarded until a few years ago.
The first teacher at the present location was Miss Ethel Hodges, now Mrs. Ernest Love. The present teacher is Mary Sue Goff. The average attendance of pupils is thirty.
The community has been known as the Howard Community because its first settlers were named Howard. Mr. Sam Howard was the first settler. We do not know when he made the settlement or why he located here.
Our community is located approximately two and one-half miles northeast of Lexington, Tennessee. The main road that passes through the community leads to Natchez Trace State Park.
From all accounts the oldest house now standing is that occupied by Mr. Sims Hatchett. The exact date of its erection is not known. It is believed to be about one hundred years old. It was built by Mr. Ben Jacobs.
There have never been any churches in our community. Occasionally, services are held by visiting Baptist ministers in the school building.
Mr. George Stephens has the only store the community has ever had. The people receive their mail on Rural Route #2. Mr. Connie Sullivan is the mail carrier.
Howard school, located three miles east of Lexington, was named after R. W. Howard who donated the land on which the building was erected in 1927, having as first teacher Mary Katherine Webb, granddaughter to Mr. Howard. In 1931 this building burned and in the following spring the present school was built.
The attendance has gradually increased from a one teacher school to a two teacher school, with a present enrollment of 55 and an average attendance of 43. Miss Leota Holmes is principal and Mrs. Ruth King assistant.
As in most Tennessee small communities and rural sections, these families representing the attendants of the school are hard working and religious people, enjoying what community activities they can afford. Due to this fact, we find them a pleasant people to work with and look forward to the growth of the school.
Huron community was so named by the Railroad Company in honor of Lake Huron, one of the Great Lakes. At that time the Railroad was known as the Tennessee Midland Railroad. One of the oldest settlers was E. T. Flake. This settlement was made because of good farming land and nearness to water. Other early settlers were Arch Joyner and Rev. Claybon Bell. The oldest house now standing is the one occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Dave Brown.
Huron has one Missionary Baptist Church. It was built about 1885. Services are held in this church.
Mr. R. C. Whittle owns and operates the oldest store in the Huron Community. There are two other stores owned and operated, one by Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Smith and the other by Mr. Tom Threadgill. There have been other merchants of this community, namely; Walker and Son, Threadgill and Milton, Will Evans, Tom Gilliam, Charley Wadley and Faris Bell. The following have been depot agents: Frank Smith, Mr. Hogan, W. S. Hurt, H. V. Denver, G. T. Dickinson, and Robert Kelly.
The mail service was established in Huron about 1901. The post office is now located in Mr. and Mrs. Floyd Smith's Store. Mrs. Floyd Smith is now acting as Postmistress. Two mail routes lead out from Huron. Mr. E. W. Bailey carries the mail on route number one and the assistant, Mr. Rex Pope, carries it on route number two. The earliest carriers were Rev. L. A. Lawyer, W. E. Johnson, Curry Johnson and M. L. Austin.
The community is served by one cotton gin owned and operated by Smith Record and Company. One blacksmith shop is located in Huron. Mr. Hute Maxwell owns and operates this shop and serves the people with the best of work.
The name "Huron" was given to this school in honor of the Huron Community in which it is located. The present building was built in 1934.
The first teacher to teach in the present building was Miss Rena Mae Pierce. Two other teachers have taught there, namely, Miss Willie Dee Parham and Mrs. Della Mae Anderson. The present teacher is Birthel Johnson.
School has been taught in one other building in this community. Starting about 1885, school was taught in the church for several years. The teachers who taught in the church include Emma Kimbrough, Minnie Spellings, Katie Skipper and W. R. Wilson.
The average daily attendance for last month was sixteen. The total enrollment is seventeen.
Independence is the name of our community. Many years ago there was a small town in this community consisting of stores, mills, hotel, saloon and other buildings. The people said they were independent of other communities and the town became known as Independence. Two of the first settlers were Mr. Thomas Black and Mr. Joseph Gardner who came here from North Carolina. Mr. Gardner owned the first hotel which was located on the old state road between Trenton and Lexington. This building is still being used as a dwelling. The building which Mr. Black built is still standing and is now occupied by Mr. Otha McMinn.
The Christian Church was built in the year of 1921 by Mr. Sweet and Claude Gardner. The Independence Cemetery was given by Mr. Black, and his son was buried there in the year of 1889.
The present mail carrier is Mr. W. L. Johnson of Lexington.
The school was named for the community in which it is located. The present building was built in the year of 1938. Three buildings have been used. The first building was located about a mile from the present location and was known as Smyrna. The building is still standing and is now being used as a dwelling on the farm of Victor Gardner.
In the year of 1915 the schools of Smyrna and Law were consolidated and moved to the present location near the Independence Cemetery. The first teacher in the school known as Independence was Mr. John Waller. The present teacher is Mrs. Ruby Hanna Williams. There are twenty-two pupils.
The name was given the community after a Missionary named Judson. The first settler was Jackie Powers, who came around 1825 and settled at the W. O. Millner place. Dr. West next came on the farm which Logan Ferguson now owns.
The oldest house now standing is the home of Mrs. Ada Rogers, once the home of W. B. Long.
Oak Grove, a Methodist Church, is the oldest church. There is a Judson Missionary Baptist Church also.
About 1880, a saloon and grocery store was put in by John Dees.
W.B. Long had the first dry goods store. Drew Johnson and Buren White now have small stores.
The first and only post office was known as the Long Post Office. It could not be called Middleburg, because there was another place in Tennessee with the same name.
Jess Moody was the first mail carrier. The present mail carrier is Iley Austin from Scotts Hill. The community once could boast of having three good business houses or stores, a big cotton gin, a saw mill and a good grist mill. It was also the home of three doctors.
The school was named after the Judson Church because it was located near it. The present school house was built in 1927 on a five acre lot donated by Mrs. Florence Ferguson.
The first school house was built about 1873 where the house of Mrs. Sherrod Powers now stands. The school was moved in 1885 to the Judson Church, which was on the road. Both were log houses with fire places. In 1890 it was moved to the top of the hill south of the church. It was destroyed by fire in 1913. Two years later it was rebuilt near the present location, but in 1925 it was also destroyed by fire. The first teacher in the old log house was Mrs. Keziah Long. Some still live to tell about their school days there.
The present teachers at Judson are Miss Gertrude Powers and Paxton Montgomery. The average attendance is around 55.
From 1929 to 1934, Judson was a Junior High School. Students are now being transported by buses every day to some of the leading Senior High Schools in the County.
The early settlers were Tommy Beal, Bradley Beal, Bill Bun, Calep Belew and Gardner Webb.
The oldest house now standing is the Waller house probably 90 years old and now occupied by G. Bartholomew.
The first store was operated by Tucker and Edwards. This store burned during the Civil War. The first dry goods store was operated by Abner Lawler in the Waller House.
Green White gave the community the name of Pinch, by which it went until the post office was established. The first post master was Hugh Teague.
The first church was Shady Grove. It was a Methodist church located on Oliver Holmes' place. It was established in 1835, and moved to Highway 20 in 1931. The second church was the Church of Christ which was established in 1892 and was located in front of Y. Y. Utley's. It was moved to Highway 20 in 1937.
The first doctors were thought to be Dr. True and Dr. Gibbs Wa11er.
The first school was located near Mr. Morgan's barn. It was built by Brant Teague. The early teachers were Tate Howard and Jim Mason.
The next school was across the road from Mr. Utley's. A special school district was created for the Juno Community. This school was taught by Miss Emma Kimbro.
At the present location there have been three houses. The first teachers at this location were Y. A. Jackson and Miss Stinson. The present teachers are C. G. Stephens and Mrs. Gladys DeBerry with 63 pupils.
About the year 1850 Edwin Rhodes settled on what is new known as the M. E. Rhodes farm. The six sons of Edwin Rhodes married, settled down and reared large families within a radius of two miles of the old home place, thus the name "Rhodes Town".
The oldest settlement in Rhodes Town was probably made by Johnnie Rhodes. The log house, which is put together with wooden pegs, is now occupied by Paul Morris.
Jacks Creek Church located about two miles east of Rhodes community was for many years the chief center of worship.
Marshal B. Brantley, a well known merchant, provided the general merchandise.
For many years the mail was distributed through a post office known as Middlefork. The farmers took turns going to the post office each day on horseback, each bring the mail for his neighbors. Today the mail is brought on a rural route from the post office of Huron by E. W. Bailey.
The first school, called Rhodes School, was located on the farm of the late J. A. Rhodes. The old well can still be seen and the log building is now used for a smokehouse.
About 1870 Jackson Laster moved into "Rhodes Town". He had several children and as it was too far for them to attend Rhodes School, so he gave land for a frame schoolhouse to be put in the center of the community. Rhodes school became "Laster" in honor of the generous farmer and ginner.
In 1886 or 1887, Henderson County erected the first one of the schoolhouses. Old timers remember its size to be about 40 by 50 feet. About 1908 this large building burned. Another frame house 30 by 40 feet was built. Due to decrease in attendance, this building was sold and torn away leaving only a small classroom. In 1931 an extension was made to this room and in 1935 a second room was added, making it a two teacher school.
The first teacher was Mr. Baughn, father of G. C. Baughn who taught Chemistry in Lexington High School. The average attendance of the school was 70, in contrast to the 1940 average of 52. Present teachers are Mrs. Lena Wallace and Miss Juana Travillion. Among the most renowned teachers of Laster School are Mayor Joe Davis, Judge Elmer Stewart, and Superintendent Ira C. Powers, outstanding leaders of Henderson County.
Life community first came into existence around the year 1860 when a Mr. Groom settled at the place where Mr. Lafayette Gilliam now lives. Sometime later Mr. Jim Flake and Mr. Rankin Carver settled around this vicinity. Mr. Lafayette Gilliam is the oldest man living at Life. He has lived at the same spot where his father lived who moved to Life about the year 1866. The old house was torn down in the year 1926. The oldest house still standing is the house built in 1888 by Mr. Tom Sullivan where Mr. Abe Mullins now lives.
Life community once extended to where Chapel Hill School is now located. There was a Baptist church erected about 1862, and later a large shelter was built to accommodate large crowds of people. Wheat was raised in that section at that time and a large amount was placed on the ground to keep the dust settled.
When the railroad was built in 1888, Mr. Henry Foster gave the lot where the depot was built and the station was named Foster Station. The community resumed the name of Life in the year 1889.
Sullivan and Priddy operated the first store at Life. The present store is near the school and operated by W. R. Powers.
New Bethel is the name of the Methodist church which was built in 1937 and has as its pastor Rev. U. E. Parr with a membership of 47.
Mr. Connie Sullivan is the mail carrier who brings the mail from Lexington.
Life School was built in the year 1925. The school derived its name from the station located on the railroad.
Before the present school was constructed, the pupils that lived in this community went to Ruby's Grove and Chapel Hill Schools.
The first teacher at Life was Miss Bonnie Rogers with an attendance of 30.
The present teacher is Lorene Fesmire with an average attendance of 25 pupils.
The first settlers were the Lasters and Badys who built their homes about three miles south of Long Sought on a tributary of Beech River. Then around 1820 the Rhodes came and built at a spring near where the Rhodes Cemetery now is. One of the houses they built is still standing on the farm of R. E. Lee and is occupied by George Parker, colored. The first and only store and post office ever to be here was in this building before the Civil War. The community was called Rhodes Town until 1905. Another house built around 1840 is owned and occupied by J. L. Fuller.
East of Long Sought, in the forks of the Beaver and Big Sandy Rivers, the Adamses settled between 1830 and 1840. The oldest house now standing in this section belongs to Joe Adams who lives in it.
Mt. Ararat Primitive Baptist was the first church building to be erected. The old site is on a hill near C. F. Lee's. The present churches are Zion's Rest Primitive Baptist, and Stray Leaf Church of Christ.
Long Sought school house was built around 1905 and is a consolidated school of the old Graves' Chapel and Sheep Shelter Schools. The late Joe Boswell suggested the name Long Sought, the reason being that he had long sought the union of these two schools.
The Graves' Chapel school house place is near Andros Rhodes', possibly in the garden. When Sheep Shelter was built, Stray Leaf School, a small church site, was given to the Negroes. They used it for both school and church until about 1916 when they moved in a body to Cairo, Illinois.
The first teacher at Long Sought was W. C. Crook. The attendance then was between 60 and 70. The present teachers are Ashley Adams and Miss Oleita Jones, and the present enrollment is 60. During a five year period the enrollment will vary from sixty to eighty, because about seventy-five percent of the people in the community are renters.
Mabel Grove was not a separate community until the school house was built. Before this time it was a part of Hinson Springs Community.
The first settlers, known by anyone now living in the community, were a Mr. and Mrs. Hinson. No one knows when the oldest house was built, or by whom, but it is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Robert Woods.
There is no church in the community. The school building has always been used as a church.
The County Farm is located in this community, with Mr. and Mrs. Earl Martin as caretakers. The only store ever to be 1ocated in this community was at the County House some thirty years ago and operated by Mr. J. Frank Martin who was Sheriff from 1912 to 1918.
The first mail carrier was Mr. John Wilkerson. The present one is Mr. Connie Sullivan.
From 1909 to 1911 Mr. Jesse Peterson was U. S. Deputy Marshall.
In 1914 Mr. Jesse Peterson gave to the county a tract of land upon which to erect a school building. Mabel Grove School was built upon this land in the same year. The first teacher who taught in the new building was Miss Mabel Davis. The school received its name from this first teacher. The present teacher is Miss Mary Katherine Webb. The average daily attendance is 22.
Middlefork got its name of Lick and Lickskillet from a salt-lick where deer went to lick salt. Later two men had a fight at the Lick; one struck the other over the head with a skillet. From then on the village was known as Lickskillet. It also took the name of Middlefork for being near the branch of the Forkadeer River.
The first roads that ran through Middlefork were the Lexington-Purdy and Mifflin-Saltillo Roads. The Lexington-Purdy road is now the Highway 22.
The first settlers in the community wore Fred Phelps, M. Jones, and Nichols Garrett, all settling on the Middlefork Creek about one mile from the present school, in the year 1830. The oldest house now standing was built in 1835, first occupied by Fred Phelps and now occupied by Joe Williams.
The first churches were Missionary Baptist at Unity and Cumberland Presbyterian at Big Springs. The Unity Church remains an active church. The first cemeteries were Unity, Big Springs and Garret's. Unity is a beautiful cemetery still in use. The first preachers in the community were John Newt Wheatley and W. M. Hodges.
The first carding mill was located on Middlefork Creek and was operated by Ervin McAdams.
The school received the name of Middlefork for being near the branch of the Forkadeer River. The first school buildings of the community were Big Springs and the Edwards School.
The first teachers were John Wheatley and Prof. Hubbard. The first school house at Middlefork was built in 1895. The first school house on the present grounds was built in 1911, and was badly damaged by a storm in 1915. School was taught one year in this building by Laura Patterson.
The second school was taught by Prof. W. C. Crook in 1912. The present building was constructed in 1922. The second room was added in 1929. The first school was taught in the present building by W. C. Crook.
About 1925 Middlefork became a two-teacher school. The following teachers have taught with W. C. Crook: Allie Crook, Mrs. Lena Wallace, Kathleen Essary, Minnie Page, Ruth Stewart, and Pauline McAdams.
The present teachers are W. C. Crook and Pauline McAdams. The average daily attendance since 1925 is 49 plus.
This community was named in honor of the Moores who lived nearby when the school was established.
Probably the first settlers were William Davis and Milburn Keen. These pioneers came in about 1825. The oldest house now standing belongs to John Bradfield, Sr. and is occupied by Luther Renshaw and family.
In 1867 Mt. Ararat Church was organized. The first building was an old log house. The present building was erected many years ago. The first store was owned and operated by Doss Evans and Billy Davis. The present store is owned and operated by Willie Arnold.
The post office is Darden. Our mail carrier is Murray Austin of Lexington.
E. L. Bradfield, who was a volunteer in the Civil War, gave his life for the cause. He is buried in Andersonville, Georgia.
The school got its name from the Moores who lived near where it was first built.
The present building was built about 1864. In 1920 it was moved to its present site.
The first teacher was Philip Bradfield of Chattanooga, Tennessee. The present teacher is Miss Ida Halter. We have on role 25 pupils. Last month our average daily attendance was 24 plus.
This school is in the Mt. Ararat Community. At one time it had more than a 100 pupils with one teacher.
Moss community was named after James Moss, an early settler from Charlotte, N. C. More than one hundred years ago our first settlers settled here. They were: Charlie Wilkerson, Henry Scott and, later, the Gateleys, Gatlins, and Barrs. The oldest house standing is the Moss house. The last occupant was Frank Barr, Jr.
The oldest church used is Mt. Gilead. The oldest store is at Law. The first merchants were John Laws and David Patton. The present merchant is W. T. Buch.
Our mail carrier for the last twenty years has been Brown Arnold.
The first school was called "Golden Moss Rest". James Moss, who loved children very much, gave the land and logs for a new school building in 1878. At first it was hard to decide on a name but Mr. Moss spent so much of his leisure time at school, it became known as Moss' Rest.
The present building was built in 1934. Four buildings have been used. The first teachers were Dr. Billie McCrea and Frank Barr.
The present teachers are Mrs. Nola Farmer and Miss Kate Laws. The average attendance is near fifty.
Mt. Gilead School received its name from the church in the community. It is a Bible name. The first building was a small log house. Later the church house was used as a school; then a boxed house was built for a school. This house burned and a one room frame house was built. In 1929 a second room was added. In 1939 a third room was added.
Some of the first teachers were Mr. Jack Lewis, Mr. Shelly, Mr. Abernathy and Mr. Jeter.
Present teachers are Carmen Duck, Mrs. Gladys Gateley and Miss Mary Katherine Rhodes.
Ollie's Grove community was named after Miss Ollie Mason.
The Taylors were among the first settlers. The oldest house now standing is owned by Ike Bell. Elbert Horton now resides there.
The community has Rural Free Delivery from Huron. Rex Pope is the mail carrier at the present time.
The community has neither a church nor a store.
The school received its name from the first teacher, Miss Ollie Mason. The school was founded in 1884. The number of buildings used is not known. The present building was erected in 1925 with an addition in 1939. It is located about two and one half miles north of Huron.
The present teacher is Warren Holmes. The average daily attendance is 32 with an enrollment of 40.
This community was first called Cross Roads because the roads cross near here. Later the name was changed to Oak Grove.
The first settler was Mr. Green Smith, who settled near where Mr. Dayton McDaniel now lives. At present, the oldest citizen is Mrs. Sallie Shackelford, who is eighty-one years of age.
The oldest house now standing is occupied by Mr. William Troy Scott. It was built in 1850.
The first mail carrier was Mr. John Roberts, and the present mail carrier is Mr. F. Goff.
The first store was owned by Mr. Jimmie Davis. The present store is owned by Mr. Prentice Scott.
The first school building was located about one mile north of Highway No. 20. It was called Union Hill. Mr. Willie Wilson was a teacher in this school. Later it was moved north about one mile near the church. This building burned and the present building was built about one-half mile east in l926.
The school was named Oak Grove, because it is surrounded a grove of oak trees.
The present teachers are A. M. Duke and Hugh Reed with an enrollment of 52 pupils at present.
The Palestine Community is located on Highway 22 about 6 miles southwest of Lexington. It consists of a church, a two-teacher school, and a traveling store.
The first settlers in the community were J. L. Britt, Eli Stewart, and S. E. Hart who settled in the year 1837. None the first buildings are still standing, but some of the logs on the Stewart settlement are still in use on the farm of Mr. Marion Stewart.
A Cumberland Presbyterian Church was organized in 1837. It now has a membership of 75, with the Ladies' Aid as an active Church organization.
The people buy their groceries at Lexington and from Clellon McCormick, the store on wheels.
The community is served by two rural mail carriers; F. Goff and Connie Sullivan.
A subscription was first organized in 1840. In 1917 a one room frame building was erected which burned in 1937. The present school is a two room frame building, with two teachers -- Mr. J. L. Fesmire and Mrs. Mildred Fesmire -- and 65 pupils. The school is aided in its work by an active Parent Teacher Association.
Parkers Cross Roads community was named because of the roads crossing here. Hiram Britt, the first settler, located here because of a spring located here. The oldest building stands near the because of a spring located here. The oldest building stands near the road crossing on the farm of Mrs. Mollie Rosser. Mr. and Mrs. Howell Pegram now occupy this building.
The first store was a dry goods store owned by Hiram Britt. The present store is operated by J. B. Olive.
Wildersville is the post office. Willie Scott was the first mail carrier. Bedford Todd is the present mail carrier.
The Jones Cemetery was formerly known as "The Jones Place". A Mr. and Mrs. Parker are buried there with their feet toward the north.
The following are words copied from a newspaper 75 years age. "January 24, 1863. Captain B. L. Baxter reports that General Forrest in his battle with the Federals at Parkers Cross Roads, Tennessee, drove the Federals off the field killing a large number."
The soldiers that were killed during the battle at Parkers Cross Roads were buried near the road crossing.
The school got its name because of the road crossing. The present building was built before the Civil War, and this is the only building that has ever been here. The house was built with two fireplaces. One of the fireplace mantels is here now. No log benches were ever here.
One of the first teachers was a Professor House. Boys and girls attended this school at the same time. The attendance was small.
The present teachers are Mrs. Tommie Kee Ruch and Mrs. Mamie Taylor Palmer. The average daily attendance at present is 51.
Piney was the name given this community because of the creek flowing between the Pine Knobs. One among the first settlers of this community was Mr. Milton Buck. The residence he built is the oldest, and is new occupied by Mrs. R. F. Stanfill.
The oldest church was built near Piney Creek. It has been moved to the present location. It retained the name Piney after its removal.
The rural carrier is Mr. F. Goff, post office being Lexington.
An interesting thing about the community is that an old woolen mill was located on Piney Creek.
The school, as the church, took the name "Piney" from Piney Creek. The building now in use was constructed in1928. Four other buildings have been used.
Mr. Stinson was probably the first teacher, along with others as follows: Mr. Adam Dyer, Miss Exie Smith, Mr. Grady Kennedy, Miss Edith Patty, Mr. and Mrs. Glyn Phillips.
Present teachers are Mrs. Exie McPeake and Mrs. Tom Bailey. Average daily attendance is 48.
The community received its name from two large poplar trees that stood near the springs. The name was suggested by Granny Jackson. The first settlers in this community were the Autrys, Holmes, Andersons, Jacksons, Gardners, McGlothens and Manleys. The Uncle Joe Manley, the Nath Gardner, and the Uncle Billy Johnson places are among the oldest settlements in this Community.
The first Church and School used the same building and were known as Rock Hill. The building was located near where A. W. Holmes' residence now stands.
The present church was completed in 1905.
The first store was operated by Mr. Ed. McCollum in his home. The present store is operated by W. L. Autry.
The school was named for two large poplar trees that stood near the springs. The present building was completed in 1920. The old Rock Hill Church was formerly used for a school. Ed McCollum, Luther Stanfill and John Ballard were among the early teachers.
The present teachers are Clyde M. Reeves, Aaron Tolley, and Miss Eula Mae Ringold. The average daily attendance is about 85.
The present building consists of three class rooms, one shop room and a storage room. It is the only rural school in Henderson County that met the classification requirements for a "B" Grade.
The school has a Parent Teacher Organization with Mrs. Clyde M. Reeves as President and Mrs. Warren Holmes as Secretary. Our Gymnasium was completed in 1935.
The community is called Presley after the man who gave the land for the first school. People settled here because of the good farming land. The oldest house belonged to Mr. Will Bailey. It was built several years before the Civil War. Mr. Bailey's two daughters live there now.
The first store belonged to Mr. E. S. Goff. The post office was in the store. It was called Zone. The mail carrier today is Mr. F. Goff.
The first school house was used as a church. The nearest church to the school is the Pentecostal church. West of the school house about two miles is the Liberty Hill Church.
The school was named for Mr. Riley Presley. He gave the land to the county for the school house. Three buildings have been used. The first teacher was Mr. Swain. The present teachers are Goy Snider and Ruby Miller. The average attendance is 53.
Mr. John M. Taylor, a congressman from Lexington, helped establish a post office here in 1881 naming it Reagan in honor of a very prominent man, Senator Reagan of Texas.
The first settler in the community was Mr. John Bailey. We do not know why he settled here nor from where he came. The oldest house in the community was constructed by Daniel McCollum about 1840. H. E. Pike is the present owner.
Miss Tinnie Milam is the oldest person in our community. She is 85 years of age.
The oldest church is Union Hill. Other churches now in use are Mt. Moriah, Barren Springs, Reagan and Dyers Chapel.
The oldest store is the store used by A. M. Powers, now operated by D. G. Bailey. Others are J. B. Stewart, A. F. Taylor, and F. Y. Taylor.
The post office is located in the store operated by D. G. Bailey, who is postmaster.
After a post office was established and named Reagan, the school then went by the same name.
The building now in use was erected in 1937. Four buildings have been used.
Miss Lucy Sage, we are informed, was the first teacher. The present teachers are Tom Bailey, Mrs. Daisye Presley and Mrs. Josephine McPeake. The average daily attendance is 85.
Mr. Ira C. Powers, now Superintendent of County Schools, has taught in this school. Other teachers are Mr. James Page, Mrs. J. L. McKinstry, Dr. and Mrs. Henry Powers, Mrs. Exie McPeake, Mr. Tom Stanfill and Mrs. Tom Bailey.
The oldest house now standing is the McCall home. The house is one hundred eight years old and is now occupied or used as a summer residence by John A. McCall.
The church was built by the community in 1918.
A. G. Hayes opened the first store in 1912.
The first mail carrier was P. W. Walker.
Sam Hayes settled here in 1850 and was the first Justice of the Peace, serving eighteen years.
The school was named after Judge Reed who gave the land upon which the house was built. The school was established in 1880. There have been five school buildings in the community.
The first teacher on record was Judge Reed with about 12 or 15 pupils.
The present teachers are E. W. Hanna and Lois Johnson, with an enrollment of 50 pupils.
The first settlers in this community were the Stanfords and the Hares. The oldest house now standing was built before the Civil War. It is the home of Mr. Tom Lindsey.
The oldest church is Mazies Chapel. The oldest store was owned by the Hare brothers.
The mail carrier is Connie Sullivan.
The Natchez Trace State Park is near this community. The old original Natchez Trail runs near the Roberts School. It was a trail for the Chickasaw and Natchez Indians but has become a good road for us.
Roberts School was named for Mr. Duncan Roberts because he gave the land for the building and playground.
The first teacher was Miss Juanita Hester with 35 pupils. It was established in 1932 with one room. The building has two rooms now with an enrollment of 56. The present teachers are Bernice Maness and Lula Hare.
Rock Hill Community received its name from the sand rocks located within its boundaries. Joseph Reed was the first settler. His house, now occupied by Goy Snider, is the oldest house in the community as well as in the county.
The first church, a Missionary Baptist, was built in 1884.
The business center of the community was at the railway station, Warren's Bluff, for several years. Warren's Bluff was named for a very useful citizen, Dr. Warren, and the high bluffs nearby. Rushing Brothers’ Mercantile Co. was the first store. Frank Stubblefield was the first postmaster. W. W. Hay was the first mail carrier, with F. Goff as present carrier.
Rock Hill School was given its name because of sand rocks nearby. The first school building was erected in 1873. It was built by the community. There have been three buildings.
The present building was built in 1917. The first teacher was Major Scates. There were 15 pupils in school.
The teachers at present are Mr. and Mrs. Troy McPeake with an enrollment of 50 pupils.
The community was given this name because of the springs here. The first family to settle here was that of Mr. Able Douglas. It is thought that they settled here because the land was cheap and it was a more prosperous place than where they had been living.
The oldest house now standing is the one built by Mr. Able Douglas. It is 102 years old. It belongs to Mr. Paul Douglas. Mr. John Bartholomew lives in the house now.
Rock Springs Church was built about 100 years ago. It was a log building used for both church and school. The church used now is 48 years old.
The oldest store belonged to Mr. Joe Douglas. The present store is owned by Mr. John Taylor.
Mr. Bedford Todd is the present mail carrier.
The school and church both get their name from the springs.
The first part of the school building was erected about 1912. In 1936 another room was added. Four building have been used.
The first teacher was Mr. Billy Butler. The present teacher is Alice Bailey.
The average daily attendance is 25.
Eutah was given the name Luray after the railroad was built 53 years ago by the railroad people.
The first settler was a Mr. Reid, who located here to have water power to run his flour mill. The oldest house standing is 120 years old and is owned and occupied by Mr. Feek Adcock.
The Methodist Church is the oldest church and is still used. The Missionary Baptist and the Church of Christ are the other two churches here now.
West Bain owned and operated the first store in Luray. Now, M. A. McNatt, W. A. Webb, Walter Wilkens and G. L. McHaney, have stores here.
G. W. Priddy was the first postmaster and Jim Greer (colored) was the first mail carrier.
The name Russells was given the school because Mr. Tom Russell lived near the school for sixty-two years. The name Cross Roads was used because of the location of the school.
The first school building was built about one hundred years ago. The second building was built fifty one years ago. The third building was built August, 1923. The first teachers’ names were Lawson, Hedgecoth and Doss.
The present teachers are J. A. Lipscomb and Mrs. Mary Nelle Outlaw. The average number of pupils is 48.
The present building is 48x40 with four rooms, one lunch room and one coat room and is located 1.6 mile northwest of Luray in the Second Civil District of Henderson County.
The community is called Sand Ridge because we live on the ridge that divides the waters of the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers.
The oldest house now standing is the Abner Law place, which was built before the Civil War. The door facing of the house has a hole in it caused by a shot during the war.
The oldest church is Old Hepzibah, which is about 100 years old. It is still used for funeral occasions. Rev. Wash Perkins preached here in 1877.
Our oldest store was operated by Hall Bros. Our present store is operated by W. K. Wilkins. Our post office is Lexington.
Sand Ridge School was thus named because at was located on the ridge which separates the water that flows into the Mississippi and Tennessee Rivers.
The present building was built about 1922. There had been four buildings, the first being a log building erected about 1835. The most ancient teacher that we can learn of was Mr. Charlie Hill who taught here 80 years ago.
The present teachers are Mrs. Henry Patton and Miss Ophelia Hall with an average attendance of fifty-two.
Sardis was named from Sardis Camp Grounds settled about 1865. Some of the first settlers were the Bryants, Englands, Hannas, Hassells, McNatts, McBrides, Presleys, Stanfills, Johnsons and others. They settled for the purpose of homesteading.
The oldest house now standing was built by Dr. Mack England. Its present occupant is Mr. Earl Adams.
The oldest church now in use is the Baptist. Other churches now being, used are Methodist and Church of Christ.
The first store was built by Esq. Little in 1875. The present stores are owned by T. H. Phillips, J. A. Medlin, J. I. Johnson, J. S. Johnson., Fred Wilhite, A. N. White and G. W. Medlin.
The first post office was established in 1875. Mrs. I. J. Hassel was Postmistress. Denney Roy and John Hassel were first Rural Carriers appointed in 1903.
Sardis School was named from "Old Sardis Camp Ground."
There have been seven buildings used for school in Sardis. Three of them were churches used before Sardis ever had a school building. The present building was completed in July, 1940. Rev. Matt Hanna was the first school teacher to teach in Sardis. He taught in 1867.
Present teachers are: A. J. Stelle (Principal), Nell Duffy, Imogene Key, Fred Colvett, Bill Blevens, Benson Travillion (Prin. of Grammar School), Walter Carter, Beulah O. Hanna., Ruby W. Hanna, and Ruth H. Vandyke. The average attendance of grammar school is 163.
Sardis has been a Senior High School since 1932. Sardis School was chartered as a Normal College by the State in 1864. College work was taught here over a long period of years.
Scotts Hill was named for Mr. Cager Scott, the first settler. Mr. Scott opened up a store and shop.
The oldest house now standing is the home of Miss Willie Kelley, the present occupant.
The Methodist church is the oldest church now standing. The present churches are the Church of Christ, the Methodist Church, and the Pentecostal church.
The oldest store now standing is Mr. J. M. Brasher's store.
Scotts Hill has a post office and three mail carriers. There are fifteen places of business. Among these is a garage, a bank, a drug store, two cafes, a beauty parlor, a variety store, two hardware stores, two blacksmiths shops and several grocery stores.
Scotts Hill School was named for the town. The present building was built in 1927. The first building was built in 1914 and is still in use. Four additional rooms have been added.
The first teacher was Mrs. Una Bobbitt.
The present teachers are: Cecil Milan, Walt Dunavent [Dunivant? P.293,620], Ernest Holmes, Clayton Tarleton, Edward Bailey, Ruel Eason, Lorraine Kelley, and Hattie Eason. The average daily attendance is 275 pupils with a total enrollment of over 300 pupils. We also have five buses.
The name Shady Hill originated from the unusually large trees which stood near the oldest home. This house is the Aunt Millie Buck home which was built nearly 100 years ago. It is now occupied by Mr. and Mrs. Carnell Middleton.
The first church building was a log house and was called New Hope. The second building was built near the same location about 1910 by members of several denominations.
About the year 1900, Dr. W. I. Howell and Dr. C. H. Johnson began their practice of medicine here. There were then four stores, a saloon, a post office, a cotton gin, a saw mill, and a stove factory. At present there is one store, a gasoline service station, a blacksmith shop and a grist mill.
The community is bounded by Lost Creek, Cane Creek and Beech River and contains some excellent farming land.
Shady Hill School building, which was located near the site of the present store, dates back many years before the Civil War. It was built of logs, had a puncheon floor and split logs for benches. This was a long time before free schools and all who went paid tuition.
This school outgrew the building and, instead of making a larger building, it was decided to make two smaller ones. These were New Hope and Rushing School Houses. They continued until 1913 when they were, again, consolidated at the site of the present building, which is one half mile north of the store. This is one of the oldest consolidated schools in the county.
Bill Rogers and Mrs. Eva Neisler were the first teachers. The present teachers are D. E. Howell and Mrs. Ruth Middleton. More than 25 others have taught here. Before the days of school transportation, more than one hundred students were enrolled. There is an enrollment of near fifty at the present time.
Our community was named Sheppard for Mr. J. M. Sheppard, one of the early settlers. The oldest building is the old Sheppard Home, now occupied by Mr. W. A. Holmes
There are two churches in the community, Union Hill and Shiloh. They are both very old.
Our post office is Reagan, and the rural carrier is Mr. C. A. Pierce.
We have two grocery stores, one owned by Mr. J. H. Barker, and one by Mrs. J. J. Gilliam.
The school was named Sheppard for Mr. John M. Sheppard because he gave the land on which the school was built. There have been two buildings. The first one was a log building. The present building was erected in 1910, and later an addition was made because of larger attendance.
Some of the first teachers were Mrs. Crickett Goff, W. M. Poole, E. H. Stewart, George Curlee, and Tom Brooks.
The present teachers are W. S. Middleton and Mrs. Helen Smith, with an average daily attendance of 40.
Smith community received its name from the first public building that was built on some land owned by people by the name of Smith.
The first settlers we know one word about were: Nemrod Stanford, Arch Grant, Milt Stewart, Lewis James, Rile Blackwell, and John Smith. The reason for this location was because of so many springs that they thought it to be a healthy county.
The oldest house is the McVeigh home, now occupied by Mrs. Lee James.
The oldest store was owned by Mr. T. Z. Willis. The present store is Thomasville.
Our present mail carrier is Mr. Brown Arnold.
Smith school got its name from the community. This building was built in the year 1935. There have been four buildings used.
The first teacher was Miss Margarete Hamilton. The present teacher is Mrs. Seabbie Berryman with an average attendance of 25 pupils.
Spring Hill School is built on a hill with a spring nearby. The first building was built in 1875. The present building was built in 1936.
The first teacher was Dr. Amos Waller. The present teacher is G. Bartholomew. The average daily attendance is 37.
The Stegall community was named for the Billie Stegall family. The first settlers were Billie Stegall, Haza Presley, East Jordan, Ervin McAdams, Jimmie Stewart, Morgan Gilliam, Banister Priddy, William Beecham, Isaac Douglas, and Mark Patterson. Most of these settlers were from North Carolina. They were seeking more productive soils.
The oldest building is the Pink Douglas home now occupied by his son, John Douglas.
The churches of the community have been Mount Zion, Jacks Creek, Big Springs, and Palestine.
The oldest store is the Billie Stegall store. The second store was built by Elbert Stegall, son of Billie Stegall.
The post office was closed in 1904, when a rural route was established from Huron. The first carrier was Ernest Johnson. Our present carrier is Ernest Bailey.
At one time Stegall was the most successful business community in Henderson County.
Stegall School received the name because Elbert S. Stegall erected the building on his farm at his own expense. The school was operated as a private school for thirty years.
The first and only school building erected by the County, was erected in 1866. Before this time Big Springs Church, which was three miles away, was used.
Stegall has been a one teacher school all of the time except from 1933 to 1937. The first teacher was either James M. Austin or Alice Hendrix, now Mrs. Andy Brown of Bemis.
The present teacher is Miss Irona Tucker. The average daily attendance is 34.
The community was named Timberlake for Richard Timberlake. The first settler was E. J. Timberlake, who came when the railroad was built.
The oldest house standing is owned by J. D. Timberlake and occupied by Sam McCollum.
The oldest store was owned by George Dameron. The present store is owned by Alfred Richardson.
The school was named Timberlake for the Timberlake family. The present building was put up in 1907. There has been only one building.
The first teacher was Miss Gladys Carlton (deceased). She had an average daily attendance of 40 pupils.
The present teacher is Jemima Laws. The average daily attendance is 24 pupils.
Mart Thomas, an early settler of Thomas community, gave a tract of land on which to build a school house. The school was named Thomas. From the school, Thomas community received its name.
Mart Thomas is believed to be the first settler, coming to this community as a farmer. The house in which he lived is now not standing.
There are two houses in the community still standing that were built a few years before the Civil War. Houston Richardson owns one of them in which Euther Veteto is new living. R. T. Bailey lives in the other one. These are believed to be the two oldest houses in the community in which anyone lives.
The nearest church to Thomas community is Liberty Hill. It is about one and one-half miles northeast of the school. Latter Day Saints is the belief of this church.
Present mail carrier of the community is C. F. Goff.
The present school building received its name from Mart Thomas.
The present building was built in 1935. This makes two building that have been used.
The first teacher of Thomas School was Thomas Richman. The first teacher of the last building was Mildred Wallace.
The present teacher is Thomas Stewart. The average daily attendance is 17. At one time, there were as many as 60 pupils who attended this school.
Truett community was named for Mr. Jim Truett who formerly owned the ground where the school now stands.
The first settlers were probably Carol Beaver and John A. Brown. They came from North Carolina about 1818 to find new homes with better land. The old Carol Beaver house, which was built before the Civil War and is now occupied by E. Maness, is probably the oldest house in the community.
The oldest present church is Middlefork Primitive Baptist, having been chartered about 135 years ago, with Charlie Riddle as one of its first pastors.
The oldest store in this community was built by J. R. Reid in 1905. The present store is owned and operated by Edward Tignor.
Our post office is Luray and our rail carrier is Clifford Priddy.
Truett school was named for Mr. Jim Truett. The present building was built by J. R. Reid in 1923. The first building called Truett was also built by Mr. Reid in 1906.
The first school building built in the community was known as the Beaver School and was built about 1860. It was then moved to Mt. Gilead then to the Amos McDaniel place and from there to the public road leading to Middlefork Church and named Truett. The first teacher of the Beaver School during Civil War was probably Charlie Scott. Some of the teachers at Mt. Gilead were Major Taylor, Ross Crook, Eva Watlington, Nannie Crook, and Edward Barhma. Several teachers of the McDaniel School were Fayette Dodds, Fred Tucker, J. R. Reid, Tom Crook, Mr. Shirley and John Haggard.
The teachers at the present Truett School have been John Haggard, Myrtle Adcox, Mr. Stewart, Ester Blankenship, J. R. Reid, David Grissom, Effie West, Romie Hamlett, Birthel Johnson, Angeline King, Carmen Duck, Pauline McAdams and Mildred Wallace.
The first settlers of Union Cross Community were Bill Douglas, Pat Douglas, Matt Bartholomew and Dutch Douglas. The oldest house now standing is that of Mrs. Betty Douglas, built about 100 years ago, now occupied by John Bartholomew.
Union Cross Methodist Church is the oldest church. It was built about 1864. There is a Pentecostal Church known as Poplar Corner that was built about 18 years ago.
The oldest store was known as 'Possum Trot and operated by John Taylor. The present stores are owned by Mr. J. N. Doug1as and Mrs. Susie Douglas.
The community is served by two mail routes. One out of Lexington carried by Bob Smith, and one out of Wildersville carried by B. E. Todd.
The first school was a boxed house built about 1876 and was called Gravel College. The first teacher of this school was Lafayette Douglas.
In 1895 Gravel College was done away with and a new one room building was built near the Union Cross Church. The school took its name from the church. Miss Emma Kimbro was the first teacher in the new school. In 1914 the school had grown until a new room was added and that building is in use at the present time.
The present teachers are C. F. Lee and Mrs. Opal Parker. The average daily attendance is 50.
Unity community was named from the school, Unity. The school is located in the center of the community. The settlement of Crucifer is a part of our community.
The first families of our community were the Green White, Teague, Taylor, Hamlet, and Threadgill families.
The oldest house now in use is the old Green White house. The present occupants are Clarence Alexander and family.
The oldest church is Nebo. Shady Grove and Juno churches also serve the community.
The oldest store is still in use, it is the McHaney store, now expanded and operated by E. M. Moore.
Huron post office serves this community, R. F. D. #2.
Unity school was the name given this school by the first teacher. She thought the meaning of this word good. The first building was erected in 1887. The present building was erected in 1934. This is the third building and location of this school. The first two buildings were one room. The present building has two rooms.
The first teacher was Miss Florence Fisher. The present teachers are Mrs. Jessie O. Fisher and Mrs. Della Mae P. Andersen. The average daily attendance is 39. The school is on the approved list of Tennessee's elementary schools. An active P.T.A. is a great help to this school. The boy's basketball team won the county tournament in 1939-40.
Priestly Parker was the first settler of Wildersville community in 1865. He operated a cotton gin, flour mill, saw mill, blacksmith shop, seed shop, carding factory, loom and spinner. The first mill was a water mill which ground wheat and corn. Later he changed this to steam. Mitchell operated a tobacco factory. There wasn't any church at Old Wildersville. The people went to Cross Roads to church. Old Wildersville was moved to its present location in 1892.
The first church was the Baptist church. It was moved from Cross Roads in l896. The first preacher was Frizzell. Walter Moody is the preacher now.
Priestly Parker owned and operated the first store. Joe Parker was the first postmaster. Mrs. John Britt is postmistress now. Will Laws was first mail carrier on Route 1. Sebe Scott was first on Route 2. B. E. Todd is carrier for both routes now.
The oldest house is known as the E. A. Adams house. It is occupied by Ess [Estes?, p. 252 ] Derryberry and wife.
Dr. McCollum was the first doctor. Dr. Bolen is the doctor at present.
The first school in Wildersville was in 1871. It was known as Star College. There were about 60 pupils enrolled. The first teacher was C. E. Hill. Priestly Parker built the house with his own money.
Wildersville was named for a man by the name of Wilder. Old Wildersville was moved to its present location in 1892. Will Murphy and wife were the first teachers at New Wildersville. The school was known as the Normal. There were about seventy-five pupils enrolled.
The present teachers are Andros Rhodes, Mrs. Mayrene Peterson and Mrs. Eva Derryberry. There are 122 pupils enrolled.
White Community received its name from White School. Billy Woods was the first settler. The G. W. Blankenship house is the oldest building now standing. It was the home of the first settler.
Bible Grove is the oldest church. There is now another one, the Church of Christ.
John Friar set up the first store. The present store is owned by J. W. Blankenship.
Tulip was the oldest post office. Chesterfield is the present post office. The present carrier is E. B. Evans.
Mrs. F. M. Wood, age 83, is the oldest person.
White school received its name from being the first school building in the county painted white.
The new building was built in 1937. A shelter and two buildings have been used. John Friar was the teacher first to teach in the old building. He enrolled more than 100 pupils.
The present school grounds join the Natchez Trace State Park. A new gravel road has been built from the park to the school.
The present teachers are Major Scates and Mrs. Mable Scates Gilliam. The average daily attendance is 62.
The first Court House was a small log house built in 1822 at a cost of $142.00. In 1827 a brick house was built by Samuel Wilson which cost $4,595.97.
This building was accidentally fired in 1863 by some of the Third Michigan Calvary, who were quartered in the house.
On October 1, 1867 a two-story brick building was constructed and lasted until 1895 when it was mysteriously burned.
The following year the present court house was erected. It has been overhauled and painted about three times.
In 1866 the first Trustee of the County was elected. Previous to that date the sheriff collected taxes and did other work that the Trustee now does.
The first hotel was built at Hinson Springs over three quarters of a century ago. It was owned by Joe B. Hinson for whom the place was named. A short time later the building burned.
After a period of years, Jim Long rebuilt the hotel and operated it until it was destroyed by fire. A second time Long rebuilt the hotel and operated it until he sold it to three men from Illinois, W. F. Barcraft, a Mr. Pinkstaff and a Dr. Montgomery. These three men added a beautiful stone structure to the old building. Pinkstaff and Montgomery, becoming dissatisfied, sold their interest to Barcroft in 1909. Barcroft owned and operated the hotel until it was destroyed by fire in 1914.
On March 13, 1913 the post office and depot were destroyed. The dance hall, which was built about the same time as the hotel remained standing until a few years ago. Now, the only building standing which was in existence during the time of the hotel is the spring house.
On entering the grounds the first thing to attract attention are the ruins of the hotel, which tell of a glorious existence.
During the early history of Hinson Springs the lawn was covered with a beautiful grove of trees. These have been killed by an overflow of water from canals that have been dug.
The park is now used for a pasture.
An orchestra was kept at the hotel and dancing was a pleasant pastime--much of the time on the porch of the hotel, but on special days and nights in the dance hall.
Many vacationists rented cabins that were on the grounds while many others bought tents and camped for weeks.
On special days there were as many as 8,000 people present and often six special trains were run to accommodate the people, besides four trains that came from Perryville bringing those who came up the river by boat. On days such as this there were from 65 to 100 hogs, sheep and goats barbecued.
One of the biggest days ever had was a Confederate Reunion at which Robert L. Taylor was one of the speakers.
From 1909 until 1914 Hinson Springs was widely known as a summer resort. The hotel was very modern and artistically constructed. A railroad was near at hand and a depot was conveniently located with a lighted, graveled walk running to the hotel. A post office and store were run by Mrs. Haughtie Odle and mail was delivered by the porter to guests at the hotel.
During the summer, the hotel was filled with guests, many of which were from the North. Many of the northern women smoked cigarettes and played tennis in shorts which was rather a curiosity to the surrounding country people. In the lobby of the hotel was a bar where drinks were served, and pitch and poker games were almost always in progress.
As many as five or six porters were employed for big days but there was only one regular - Charlie Taylor who later went to the Legislature where he served as porter until his death. His wife was the only regular chambermaid.
Many people came to drink the water from the mineral spring, which contains magnesium and iron, and barrels of it were shipped by train during the lifetime of the hotel.
The State Militia visited Hinson Springs at different times and paraded before the people, as well as giving sham battles.
The hotel burned June 4, 1914. Since that time the place has been in a state of ruins.
The Lexington Postoffice was established March 1, 1824. John A. Greer was the first Postmaster. He served for an annual salary of $33.49. The earliest available records show net receipts of $110.33 for the fiscal year ending March 31, 1827. Rural delivery service was established in 1904, with two carriers,
Village delivery was established in 1917.
The present Postmaster is the Hon. Samuel C. Jones. The receipts for the year 1939 were $13,689.00. The Lexington Post office is the only second class office in Henderson County. The office force consists of three regular clerks and one substitute clerk.
The area around Lexington is served by four rural carriers daily from this office. The city of Lexington is served by two village carriers. Three star routes leave this office daily serving more than thirty offices in the area of the Tennessee River and from Lexington to Nashville. The present building was occupied December 31, 1937. The approximate cost of this building was $70,000.00.
The Post Office Department is one of our oldest institutions. The American postal service had its beginnings in the earliest Colonial days.
The 300 years of its existence, it has been one of the most important influences in the development and progress of our country. It has been an indispensable aid to our commerce and to our business and social life in all periods of American History.
The Post Office Department is the one department that is older than the government itself, having been established by the Continental Congress before the adoption of the Constitution.
It is the largest single business institution in the world and is the only branch of the Government that reaches, and is in intimate contact with, all the people.
Many of our citizens have no other contact with our Government but through the Post Office. It is incumbent upon every postal employee to so conduct himself as to bring credit and honor to the Government in the eyes of its citizens.
Joseph Reed made the first permanent settlement in Henderson County in 1818. He and his sons came from North Carolina to Decatur County in 1817. He left his sons with the Indians until he made the trip after his family and later came up Beech River to an Indian trail known as Natchez Trace (trail) five miles southeast of Lexington. The site was just above a fine spring, known as Reed Spring, which served as watering place for both man and beast. The original land grant to Joseph Reed is still in the family's possession and is shown in this exhibit. The house is today, to the best of our knowledge, as it was when it was built.
It covers an area of forty-five thousand acres in Henderson, Carroll, and Benton Counties.
Timber is mainly of oak, hardwood type, with about nineteen million loblolly slash and long leaf pine having been planted.
Predominating work is production of timber and prevention and suppression of fires.
The Forest Tree Nursery is located on the area which, when full production is reached, will produce about six million trees annually.
One hundred miles of gravel road cross the area from almost every angle, connecting all the major points of interest.
In the forest is much wild life. The entire park is a game preserve, but some hunting and fishing is allowed under the state regulations.
There are nineteen cabins for public rental. They were built from native materials. The shingles are hand riven. The brick was made from native clay in a kiln located on the area. Most of the wood construction is of native species. A beautiful lodge is located on the park. It was built by local workmen. It has a large dance floor, two smaller side rooms, a kitchen and rest rooms.
Various types of recreational equipment are free for public use. The beach is one of the best in the state. It has sand both under and above the water line.
A spacious bath house is used at the swimming area. Qualified life guards are on duty at all times during swimming season.
Four well maintained picnic areas are open to the public. In these areas are tables, benches, fire places and drinking fountains. No charge is made for their use.
In August, 1888 a man named Maddox, a leader in grading and construction work, struck the first lick of work toward building a railroad in Henderson County. This work was done near present site of Lexington Depot. This was Tennessee Midland Railroad. Henderson County agreed to pay them $75,000.00 when it was finished to the Decatur County line. This was done and the first trip was made to Memphis and back on the first Monday in February, 1869. Large crowds gathered at the different stations to witness the great event.
A few years later the Paducah, Tennessee and Alabama Railroads were constructed. These railroads are now known as N. C. and St. L. Railroad. It paid Henderson County $19,000.00 in taxes in 1929 and hauled approximately 15,000 bales of cotton and 7,000 tons as cotton seed, besides other farm products. This railroad started with one engine weighing 50 tons. It now operates 300-ton engines. At present over one-half of employees on line from Paducah to Memphis are from Henderson County.
Henderson County's largest factory is the Salant & Salant Shirt Factory.
The number of people employed when in full operation is 250. The minimum wage per person is $13.00 per week. The average wage is much above this. The monthly payroll is considerably above $11,000.00.
The amount of cloth used daily is 15,000 yards. The amount of thread used daily is 50 cones with 15,000 yards to each cone.
The daily output of garments is 500 dozen.
Besides the Salant & Salant Shirt Factory, there is a lumber mill operated by T. D. Gooch. In this lumber mill quite a large number of people are employed.
Ayers Mineral Company is a plant which mixes and molds sands for molding. This company employs about six people.